Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Nas "Life is Good"


"I know you think my life is good cause my diamond piece/ but my life been good since I starting finding peace" 
- Nas


Nas has been viewed as one of the best wordsmiths of all time after releasing Illmatic in 1994. He never lost this status, but his more recent albums like Nastradamus, released in 1999, and Street Disciple, released in 2004, failed to match his best work. However, his 10th LP, Life is Good, may challenge Illmatic for Nas' best album. Its not that his flow is still incredible, or his excelent, poetical lyrics that set this album apart from the rest. Its the fact that Nas bears his soul to us, and rhymes about subjects that other emcees ignore. Nas has shown that he excells when facing adversity. This time, he is dealing with his divorce from R&B singer Kelis and trouble with the IRS. These topics, as well as genuinely intelligent lyrics, make Life is Good feel more grown up than most hip hop albums. 

Part One: "No Introduction"




In his first track, "No Introduction," Nas shows that while His life may be good now, he faced quite a battle getting to this point in his life. The first verse speaks to the challenge he faced as a young kid, having to provide for his family, and growing mature beyond his years. 
We was hungry kids
Mom's working, I was famished


The second verse takes place today, while he boasts about his success, gives advice, and reminices about a conversation with Notorious B.I.G. The final verse lays out the alubm's themes, like his marital problems, financial woes, and problems woth his haters. 

Part Two: "Accident Murderers" (ft. Rick Ross)


In the album's 4th track, Nas tells a story of a driveby gone wrong, and criticizes the senseless violence associated with the "gangster" lifestyle. He points out that some youth spend more time on the streets trying to gain a reputation through violence because as people get more and more involved with gang culture they develop and image that they have to maintain. He is disgusted that kids are forced by their envorenment to become killers. 


Violent adolescents, homicidal with weapons

Not a lot of knowledge inside of they minds, that I'm guessing

Tell me who you impressing

The rest of the song reflects back on these lines, as Nas mourns the loss of his childhood. 


Part Three: "Daughters"

Nas and his daughter Destiny Jones

In this track, Nas reflects on his relationship with his daughter. Like any good parent, he wants his daughter to dream big, then grow up and be successful. He is worried his fame has influences her as she grows up. 

At this point I realized I ain't the strictest parent

I'm too loose, I'm too cool with her

Shoulda drove on time to school with her

I thought I dropped enough jewels on her

Nas fears he hasn't done his job has a parent. He feels like hes been too easy on her, and has treated her like a friend instead of daughter. Nas thought he taughter to behave, and treated her well, but her recent scandal involving twitter has proven him wrong. 

Part four: "Stay" 

On this track, Nas is able to flow seamlessly from mentioning the 5% Nation, hard working men, evil women, family and riches. In the second verse, Nas talks about the complicated relationship between artists and haters. 

Even though I don't like you

Next Friday night can't wait to fight you

Locked up I would knife you

Don't fuck with you

Last month I even bucked at you, you got locked

I felt bad, wait do I got love for you

I might kill you but do I got love for you

I want you dead under six feet of soil

At the same time

Want you here to witness me while you in misery

We hate each other but it's love

Nas' exploration of this love-hate relationship are some of the most interesting lines on the album. Essentially, musicians and critics can never get along, but they are both depentent on eachother. He claims critics enjoy seing artists struggle. However, haters show artists they are successful. If someone doesn't have any critics, he is doing something wrong. Nas understands this relationship, and uses is to his advantage. 










No comments:

Post a Comment